GrandSlamSingle.com  

Go Back   GrandSlamSingle.com Forums > Non Baseball Discussion > Everything Else
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Fanof41 Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bix
terrific voice to be sure, but I never thought that much of her as a singer. RIP.

Same here. I was never a fan. I can't stand her Star Spangled Banner, nor her I Will Always Love You. They both make me want to stick a fork in my ear or, if necessary, to knock people over to turn down the sound. I'm not a big fan of of that kind of singing (that could be a reason I don't watch American Idol). I much prefer Dolly's own version of her song.

That does not mean, however, that I don't think it's sad that Whitney is dead. 48-year-olds aren't supposed to die.

New Year’s Resolution: To tolerate fools more gladly, provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time.- James Agate
Old 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM
expatriot

That famous National Anthem had a musical trick designed to get people's blood pumping: not to get too technical, but the song is written in 3/4 time, like a waltz. What Whitney (or the arranger) did was add a beat to every measure, making it 4/4 time....a much more military marching-band-like cadence.
=====================================
Old 02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Fanof41 Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaol
George Benson has a better version.

Considering the Eddie Murphy version is from 'Coming to America'....
Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil the Phan
That famous National Anthem had a musical trick designed to get people's blood pumping: not to get too technical, but the song is written in 3/4 time, like a waltz. What Whitney (or the arranger) did was add a beat to every measure, making it 4/4 time....a much more military marching-band-like cadence.

once upon a time, my dept chair announced that one of our colleagues wasnt available to do a piece of deparmental work that needed to be done because he was "only 3 quarters time." I said "yeah, he waltzes in, he waltzes out..."
Old 02-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Fanof41 Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil the Phan

The song is an old English drinking song, not a ballad. I HATE how people use it to show off how well (or, depending on the person, how badly) they can sing. In my considered opinion, it's the National Anthem, and the performance should be about the song, not about the singer. They can stuff their self-promoting improvisations and embellishments and sing it straight.

I've seen a video with an a capella group singing the original words to the tune (complete with beer steins as props), but I can't look for it now at work (entertainment sites are blocked). I'll try later from home.

New Year’s Resolution: To tolerate fools more gladly, provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time.- James Agate
Old 02-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Fanof41 Poster

Funeral Pictures (open casket) now available from the Enquirer. Because, you know, enquiring minds want to know.