GrandSlamSingle.com  

Go Back   GrandSlamSingle.com Forums > Non Baseball Discussion > Everything Else
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

100 Years Ago.....

Today is the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic.

Still amazing to think that the biggest ship in the world at the time went down.
“Members of this Court are vested with the authority to interpret the law; we possess neither the expertise nor the prerogative to make policy judgments. Those decisions are entrusted to our Nation’s elected leaders, who can be thrown out of office if the people disagree with them. It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.” - John Roberts
Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM
MVP Poster

There's a Titanic exhibit at the museum here that just opened and a bunch of people from work, some from India. They didn't know it was an actual event.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Queen Bitch

I thought that the show on ABC was good in the way it portrayed actual people, like the family who kept looking for their baby and wouldn't get in a boat even though everyone said the nurse probably took the baby off. Their older child was the only child in first and second class to die (and the baby was already off the ship when they were looking for him). It was only the 3rd class kids who were screwed, more first class men lived than 3rd class children.

What doesn't surprise me about the whole tragedy is that the Brits were more than willing to believe whatever their ass covering officers (who should have gone down with the ship) told them. So all these passengers who survived said the ship split in half and no one believed them because the officers said it didn't. And people complained about the officers in charge of lifeboats (especially the one in Molly Brown's lifeboat) And they had no problem with the fact he even lied about how many people he saved (he said 39 to explain why he wouldn't go back to pick people up, the official list has 23) and blamed the women for the complaints.

I find the articles written then very interesting, since the majority of the witnesses were women and young people, and the men in charge of the news knew they were just hysterical compared to the men
Old 04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

I watched the 2 hour special on History. The conclusion they had from tons of research was that no ship could have survived the impact vs the iceberg. But it was a credit to the design of the boat and how strong it was that it even stayed afloat the 2+ hours it did prior to sinking. The other note, was that it was amazing and again, a credit to the design of the boat, that it didn't roll to one side (like the recent cruise ship did in Italy). They said if the ship rolls to a side half of the lifeboats would have been rendered useless as they would have been destroyed.

They ended saying everyone for 100 years has been blaming the designers of Titanic and blaming Titanic's deign on the mass loss of life. Their conclusion is that the boat was built like no other and because it didn't roll, and it stayed afloat for as long as it did prior to sinking, it saved more lives than other boats would have.
“Members of this Court are vested with the authority to interpret the law; we possess neither the expertise nor the prerogative to make policy judgments. Those decisions are entrusted to our Nation’s elected leaders, who can be thrown out of office if the people disagree with them. It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.” - John Roberts
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Queen Bitch

The show I watched on National Geographic said if they hadn't scraped the iceberg and had hit it head on or turned the other way and not shut off the engines, they would have been OK. And they gave the credit to the engineers, not the designers, they said those guys are the ones who kept the ship balanced as it filled with water so that it didn't capsize.

And the Captain had a recent history of hitting things with his ships, so I blame whoever hired him. When there's a clause in your contract and you get a $1,000 bonus if you go 12 months without hitting anything, you shouldn't be given the greatest ship in the world to captain.

And the Marconi operator pretty much told the Californian to go F themselves when they warned them about ice because he was busy sending messages for the rich people and didn't want to be interrupted. But the Brits made him a hero because he sent SOS messages after they hit the iceberg.

But those two died so that's why that coward Ishmay became the real bad guy of all this, supposedly for encouraging the captain to go fast and then for not going down with the ship.

But because of the Titanic we have enough lifeboats and distress flares are uniform colors and last minutes instead of seconds.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Fanof41 Poster

I also read they used low grade rivits that also aided in the steel panels ripping apart.

but I like this list of memorials and places around Manhattan

http://gothamist.com/2012/04/14/tit...als.php#photo-9
Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

Location: The Port of Bells (Bellport) on the Long Island...as Opposed to the Short Island.
Send a message via AIM to FanaticMumf Send a message via MSN to FanaticMumf Send a message via Yahoo to FanaticMumf
I actually watched the 1958 film A Night To Remember the other night, and I actually went onto Facebook after watching it and made a general statement that everyone who gushed over the '97 James Cameron movie should do themselves a favor and watch it.

As I remembered, from when I read the book, aside from the part about the ship breaking in half, the 1958 movie was much more historically and socially accurate.

"I hate the Mets more than any team in history right now," said John Blaine, 39, who looked to be on the verge of tears as he walked home. "This makes me sick! I hope you have a terrible season."

Old 04-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peebs
I also read they used low grade rivits that also aided in the steel panels ripping apart.

but I like this list of memorials and places around Manhattan

http://gothamist.com/2012/04/14/tit...als.php#photo-9

In the History channel show last night, they debunked the notion that the rivets were of poor quality/grade. They did simulated tests and they claim the rivets performed fine.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Queen Bitch

There was a young maid who was shoved in a lifeboat and saved and the first movie she ever saw was a Titanic movie, and it was so realistic to her that she wondered why if they were close enough to film it they didn't help.

I always wanted to get my hands on the version of Cameron's Titanic that was sold without the romance in certain countries. I thought he did a great job showing how big the ship was, but he shortshifted the real people for those jerks Rose and her fiancee.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM
Fanof41 Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger
I always wanted to get my hands on the version of Cameron's Titanic that was sold without the romance in certain countries. I thought he did a great job showing how big the ship was, but he shortshifted the real people for those jerks Rose and her fiancee.

There was a church that was editing the videotapes for anyone who wanted.