User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Fanof41 Poster

Competition for Castillo?

Prospect Daniel Murphy switching position to second base:
Quote:

Luis Castillo may be signed through 2011, but Daniel Murphy was astute when he asked to switch positions to second base.

Murphy, the Mets' 13th-round pick in 2006 out of Jacksonville University who was blocked at third base by David Wright, asked Binghamton manager Mako Oliveras to move to the other side of the infield last month. After taking grounders at second base while on the disabled list with shoulder troubles, Murphy rejoined the Double-A squad on July 1 and started manning the position two days later.

Through 15 games he had committed three errors, but Murphy has drawn positive reviews.

"We gave him a crash course at second base and he's been playing there like he's been there forever," Oliveras said.

"I'm very pleased, very happy with the way he's played. He's got the makeup to make the change from third base to second base. I'll tell you, I played both of them, and in the whole infield I think second base is the most difficult position to play - especially on a double play, you don't see when the runner is coming. He has done an outstanding job."

Murphy, one of four B-Mets to participate in the Eastern League All-Star Game, has a .306 average with 11 homers and 57 RBI after going 0-for-3 against Connecticut yesterday. And it's his bat that figures to carry him to the majors.

Assuming Castillo returns from a strained hip flexor and Damion Easley and Argenis Reyes don't falter, there isn't room at the big-league level now. But Murphy figures to be a factor by spring training, even with Castillo signed for three more seasons.

"My theory is just catch it and get rid of it," said Murphy, who played second base through the 11th grade, about his double-play approach. "If I get hit, I get hit. That's the way it is. I'm pretty sure my pitchers would take something for me. So if they're going to throw a double-play ball and I take a hit, that's just the way it goes."

BEIJING BOUND: Brandon Knight, who will represent the Mets' organization in the Olympics, tossed six scoreless innings, striking out 12, for Triple-A New Orleans on Saturday to improve to 5-1 w ith a 1.60 ERA.

New Year’s Resolution: To tolerate fools more gladly, provided this does not encourage them to take up more of my time.- James Agate
Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM
MVP Poster

argenis reyes has been truly heinous with the bat throughout his minor league career. His nothing more than a defensive replacement/bench guy, so i doubt he'd really block murph.

But i don't know that we could live with a novice 2b for the rest of this year, given that delgado has no range at all. That right side of the IF would be a disaster.

Maybe next year though! Smart move by the kid to get away from 3b, cuz he'll never get a chance to play there.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

Location: The Port of Bells (Bellport) on the Long Island...as Opposed to the Short Island.
Send a message via AIM to FanaticMumf Send a message via MSN to FanaticMumf Send a message via Yahoo to FanaticMumf
It's nice to see some people at 2nd base or working on being second baseman so that we can have something better at the position than the walking knee problem, Luis Castillo. I hope Omar's realizing the mistake he made with him because pretty much he's going to be a very well paid pinch hitter if we end up with one of the other possibilities continuing to pan out in guys like Reyes, Easley, or in the future, this kid.

"I hate the Mets more than any team in history right now," said John Blaine, 39, who looked to be on the verge of tears as he walked home. "This makes me sick! I hope you have a terrible season."

Old 07-21-2008, 04:27 PM
All-Star Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberlibrarian
BEIJING BOUND: Brandon Knight, who will represent the Mets' organization in the Olympics, tossed six scoreless innings, striking out 12, for Triple-A New Orleans on Saturday to improve to 5-1 w ith a 1.60 ERA.

I thought our farm system was depleted

But Screw El Duque, if Pedro is done bring this guy up A.S.A.P.!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

Location: The Port of Bells (Bellport) on the Long Island...as Opposed to the Short Island.
Send a message via AIM to FanaticMumf Send a message via MSN to FanaticMumf Send a message via Yahoo to FanaticMumf
Quote:
Originally Posted by qam1
I thought our farm system was depleted

But Screw El Duque, if Pedro is done bring this guy up A.S.A.P.!!!

I wanted to comment on that as well but forgot to before I hit post. Yeah I've never heard anything about this guy, but wow.

"I hate the Mets more than any team in history right now," said John Blaine, 39, who looked to be on the verge of tears as he walked home. "This makes me sick! I hope you have a terrible season."

Old 07-21-2008, 04:43 PM
MVP Poster

he's a reject from the yankees minor leagues.

has never done much but those #s are hard to ignore. Too lazy to see what his K rate is...
Old 07-21-2008, 06:49 PM
expatriot

It's 49 K/10 W in 39.1 IP.
=====================================
Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 PM
MVP Poster

geez 49k in 39 IP.

Thats pretty damn good!
Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Fanof41 Poster

"Hello, Tampa Bay, Wanna Make A Deal...?" Dept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shearod
geez 49k in 39 IP.

Thats pretty damn good!

Just so long as Omar doesn't have a streak of Duquette in him!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

Sounds to me like this guy's a pleasant surprise.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Queen Bitch

I think Jerry will put up a fight if Omar wants Luis back in the lineup regularly, the team seems to have gotten their act together pretty well since that sour puss poophead went on the DL.

Good to know we have a kid working on switching to 2B, since the Mets have usually drafted nonhitting 2Bs.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

I have to agree with Tigger about this. I think given the situation, Jerry definitely should fight tooth and nail to keep Castillo out of this lineup.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 AM
MVP Poster

That's great and all, I agree with keeping Castillo out of the lineup as much as possible. But what do they do about the next 3 years?

Omar unexplicably gave him a 4 year contract and unfortunately we're stuck with him at least for the short term. Sure you can probably move him once he shows he's healthy (yeah, right), but we'd have to eat 75% of his salary.

I bet Castillo would not have gotten more than 1 year anywhere else.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:33 AM
MVP Poster

castillo does have an ability to get on base, and his D is at least as bad as easely's.

I never wanted him re-signed for 4 years, but if he is healthy he might actually contribute from the 2 spot in the lineup, which has been a total blackhole.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 AM
MVP Poster

i think this lineup would have a real 2006 feel (assuming delgado keeps hitting)

Reyes
Castillo
Beltran
Delgado
Wright
Church
Castro
Endy/Tatis/whoever
Pitcher

If church can't play, move castro up to the 6th spot.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

Perhaps, but the problem I have with Castillo is he's got an attitude problem it seems, and something about him affects the players around him. Plus he keeps the bat on his shoulders until it's 0-2 in almost every at bat I've seen of him this year. What possessed Omar to give him a 4 year deal is beyond me.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 AM
MVP Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticMumf
he's got an attitude problem it seems, and something about him affects the players around him.

we have no clue if this is really true or not. His attitude didnt seem to hurt the 2003 Marlins.

I'd much rather see him batting 2nd instead of endy chavez (no disrespect to endy, but you can't win with him as your #2 hitter)
Old 07-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

Quote:
we have no clue if this is really true or not. His attitude didnt seem to hurt the 2003 Marlins.

I'd much rather see him batting 2nd instead of endy chavez (no disrespect to endy, but you can't win with him as your #2 hitter)

Fair enough. Though, I'd like to see Beltran in the 2 spot personally, but that probably won't happen. I suppose only time will tell with what's going to happen to Castillo.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:51 AM
MVP Poster

if delgado keeps hitting, i also wouldnt mind seeing

reyes
beltran
wright
delgado
church
castro
castillo
misc crappy OF
pitcher

That 1-4 would be really, really tough on opposing pitchers

prefer to spit up the lefties church and delgado, though...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Hall-of-Fame Poster

That's kind of the lineup I was thinking since, maybe Vinny can help me out here, Beltran's played better out of the 2 hole, and it'd be a dangerous battery with Delgado hitting.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:25 AM
GSS Numbers Guy

In his career

Batting 2nd: (1021 PA)
Avg: .292
OPS: .925

Batting 3rd: (3425 PA)
Avg: .274
OPS: .843

Batting 4th: (818 PA)
Avg: .291
OPS: .883
Old 07-22-2008, 10:29 AM
MVP Poster

is his BA really that high when batting 4th?

He's hit 4th for us for a long time now and has always bene in the .265 - .275 range.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:34 AM
GSS Numbers Guy

Quote:
is his BA really that high when batting 4th?

Please re-read your GSS Board Guidelines:
Quote:
Section 2-1A Any questioning of vtred's posted statistics is cause for immediate suspension or worse

Old 07-22-2008, 10:38 AM
GSS Numbers Guy

Beltran...As a Met batting 4th:

2008: .273
2007: .310
2006: none
2005: only 10 PA
Old 07-22-2008, 10:54 AM
All-Star Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticMumf
That's kind of the lineup I was thinking since, maybe Vinny can help me out here, Beltran's played better out of the 2 hole, and it'd be a dangerous battery with Delgado hitting.

But when Beltran previously hit 2nd he never had a Jose Reyes type player in front of him.

He leaves his bat on his sholder way too much for strike 3, so he's not exactly the player I would want up there taking a few pitches for Reyes to steal.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM
MVP Poster

wow .310 last year out of the cleanup spot. That is surprising to me.

Lets just have our best hitter leadoff, 2nd best hitter hit 2nd, etc, to maximize PAs for the best hitters. I would love to see a team act wacky and just try it...
Old 07-22-2008, 10:58 AM
expatriot

Quote:
wow .310 last year out of the cleanup spot. That is surprising to me.

Lets just have our best hitter leadoff, 2nd best hitter hit 2nd, etc, to maximize PAs for the best hitters. I would love to see a team act wacky and just try it...

These days that would mean Delgado hits leadoff...
=====================================
Old 07-22-2008, 11:00 AM
GSS Numbers Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by qam1
But when Beltran previously hit 2nd he never had a Jose Reyes type player in front of him.

He leaves his bat on his sholder way too much for strike 3, so he's not exactly the player I would want up there taking a few pitches for Reyes to steal.

2008 % of called 3rd strikes
Reyes 22%
Wright 30%
Beltran 39%
Delgado 10%
Schneider 30%
Church 20%
Old 07-22-2008, 11:01 AM
MVP Poster

yeah, it would almost be worth it just to see the NY sports media have a mass seizure